WiFi won't connect

I have a classroom bundle of Piper 2 kits. My students built the computers last week but every time we tried connecting to the WiFi, it said it connected, but then when returning to the home screen, we weren’t connected. We entered the password over and over again, and each time it said it worked, but then it wasn’t connected. Has anyone else had this happen?

Have you talked to your IT person to see if there are any firewall issues?

Try this. Exit Piper to the desktop and open a terminal window and type
ping 8.8.8.8 -c 20
but do not hit enter…yet

Now try to connect to the WiFi as soon as you do, click the terminal window and press return which hopefully should show a list of times like this:

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=1 ttl=53 time=19.195 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=2 ttl=53 time=18.222 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=3 ttl=53 time=17.728 ms

and not timeouts like this

Request timeout for icmp_seq 0
Request timeout for icmp_seq 1
Request timeout for icmp_seq 2
Request timeout for icmp_seq 3

At least this will tell us if you connect and drop the connection or if you never get it.

Hi Paul,

I am the IT person at my school, actually. There isn’t a firewall issue but I will try the above test from the terminal, as you described. On one machine, it indicated the WiFi wasn’t connected but a few minutes later it was connected, and we had not done anything. So perhaps it is just intermittent, at least on that one machine. I am going to flash all the SD Cards with the most recent update.

Ok I followed these instructions. From the desktop it is pinging the server successfully.

But what I found is when I am at the desktop screen I am connected to the wifi. When I open up Piper, it says I am not connected. I click to sign-in to the wifi, it gives me the green check mark, but when it returns to the Piper main screen, it still indicates that I am not connected. I flashed the SD card with the newest update, but that didn’t help.

Also - here is a short video of me trying to configure the WiFi and what is happening.

https://s.amsu.ng/idYFFkktMYGN (Link will will expire 8/28/2019)

I was just able to reproduce this but what I found was if you stay on the main menu for a little bit, the red x wifi icon switches back to the grey wifi icon. In my mind it should be a green icon when wifi is active.

Try connecting to wofo again and wait a minute on the main menu and see if the icon changes.

p.s. I’ve just suggested that, in the next release, the wifi icon on the main menu should be green if there is a connection.

Thanks again for your reply, Paul. I have tried this a few times. I connected, got the green checkmark, but then the wifi icon is still red on the Piper screen. I waited as long as 15 minutes and it never connected. I am assuming since I flashed the SD card with the update, that connecting to wifi is not necessary.

I am assuming since I flashed the SD card with the update, that connecting to wifi is not necessary.

correct, you don’t need to be connected to run the Piper program. I noticed in the video, when you did connect and went back to the desktop, only one bar was shoeing. Have you tried getting close to the WiFi access point?

That was an exception, although I am not sure why it was so weak. The wifi signal is usually strong in the classroom, and I got full bars today on all the machines.

Is the pi with the problem still not showing a connection in Piper?

No, still no connection from within Piper.

Can you just verify the Piper version - main Menu -> Gear icon and it will show in tiny letters at the bottom let of the screen.

I’ve sent a query to the devlopers about this…keep tuned :slightly_smiling_face: