Piper

Set story mode complete

Hi! My son and I have really enjoyed the Piper computer. We just finished the story mode and ran an update to get some of the mini-games. Unfortunately, the update trashed the SD card so I had to reflash the card from a clean v. 1.06 image. Is there a command I can run from the console to mark the mini-games as completed? We don’t really want to go through the story mode all over again.

Thanks!

UPDATE: SOLUTION IS DOWN BELOW - here

Also, if anyone else reads this post, what I understand from other messages is that if you want to reset the system to “no levels unlocked”, just delete the userData folder which will also clean out any screenshots / etc. Also, I was looking at the unlockedLevels.txt file and in a clean image this starts out with a value of 4. So I would guess that values 4-9 represent the sequence of unlocked levels if you are somehow partway through.

Hi @cjoy,

I’ve sent you an email regarding this. Thanks!

• Jordan

Hi Jordan and cjoy, I am in the same position. My son and daughter finished the story mode. We had trouble upgrading and had to start over. Can you send me the email as well? Thanks.

Andrew, Jordan posted a public reply in this topic:
http://community.playpiper.com/t/your-post-in-set-story-mode-complete/987?source_topic_id=986

Hmmm…I can’t access that.

Hi @AndrewEisenberg,

I sent you a separate message prior to @cjoy’s posting.

Thanks,

• Jordan

Hmm. Maybe Jordan doesn’t want this to be public? It seems strange, though, we can’t be the only ones who have ever lost their game state and needed to do a reset. IMO, it seems like a common question that he wouldn’t want to have to keep answering…something for the FAQ.

@cjoy and @AndrewEisenberg,

Haha. You two are the first to ask for this actually. I was trying to encourage a little hacking around without posting the solution outright, but no big deal. I’ll make it public here:

[SOLUTION] To unlock the levels, please open the file manager and navigate to /home/pi/piper/userData. In the unlockedLevels.txt file, please change the number to 9. In addition, please navigate into the playData folder here and change the value in the highestLevelPlayed.txt file to 9. If you have any permissions errors, you can click on the update button (which will fix the permissions when finished) or you can open a terminal and type “sudo chown pi:pi -R piper/” followed by enter/return and then re-try the above edits.

Cheers,

• Jordan

LOL. I got about halfway through the solution before I asked. I tried changing the unlockedLevels.txt to no effect, then I was looking through the python code where it seemed like this would work. Then I got impatient and decided to ask :slight_smile:

You’re right though, it is useful to know and will definitely help others out in the future!

Hello Jordan, the files structure of the latest Piper has change as far as unlocking levels. We have the same problem that the one mentioned above except that we ran the latest image of Piper and I don’t find the files you are referring to in the Piper folder/userData nor if searching the name of the txt files in the whole Pi folder/sub-folders. Would you be kind enough to indicate what i the new process to unlock levels and piper code activities too. I run makerEd workshops and need this feature, please.
Thank you
Regards

TYou are right the files have moved. As of version 2.4.4 the files are located at /var/lib/piper/userData/playData and the file is still the same levelsCompleted.txt

1 Like

Thank you Paul ! But I don’t have the files of the cheatsheet in that folder, only one, in PlayData, named levelsCompleted.txt. Inside there are written all the levels with 0 except building bot which was 1. I figured I had to edit all levels with 1 (binary true). But I can’t seem to be able to save the file. Pi says it can’t open the file to save (! it is open !). Any hint? The full updated procedure for educators/parents would be most welcome…
Thanks again for your support, it is indeed appreciated…

Being able to unlock PiperCode activities would be crucial to me too. thanks. Best

As of version 2.4.4 the files are located at /var/lib/piper/userData/playData and the file is still the same levelsCompleted.txt

Open terminal window and enter:

cd /var/lib/piper/userData/playData
sudo nano levelsCompleted.txt

When you finish making the changes press

ctrl-x
y
enter

and that should save the changes. To make sure enter

cat levelsCompleted.txt

and you should see your changes.

1 Like

Great, Thanks ! It worked just fine! Only the piper code activities still locked but I guess this is another procedure…

Let me find out and get back to you.

1 Like

Well I’m embarrassed about this since it is so easy. Open PiperCode and go to Setting where you will find an option to mark all projects complete.

1 Like

Ah! Ah! My bad too, I didn’t see the obvious! Thanks for everything Paul. Wish me luck: I’ll try my first Piper Code session tomorrow with the Kids Coding Club.

By the way, I’ve started to translate the slides of the Piper Curriculum in French. Where can I share it or who do I send it to so you guys can add it to your ressources?

By the way, I’ve started to translate the slides of the Piper Curriculum in French. Where can I share it or who do I send it to so you guys can add it to your ressources?

That’s wonderful, please email Melissa@playpiper.com and share what you have done!