Menu Missing and Update Error

Try this:

Open a terminal (Terminal Emulator) and type in lxpanel (followed by enter). You will need to keep the terminal open to keep the taskbar running. If you want to be able to close the terminal, run

lxpanel &

instead.

Thanks Greg. While this did not work for me, I actually I followed some instructionshttp://community.playpiper.com/t/update-error-message/1401/28?u=tkauhi I found on the forum last night to upgrade, once I restarted this am, my menu was back, thank goodness! However, I still cannot start the game. Just the initial video loads and then it goes right back to Desktop. When I click on the Piper to open, same thing happens.

Please do the following to help us troubleshoot:

1. Open a terminal window via the panel at the top.
  2. Type in the following:

cd piper && sudo python start.py

1. Hit enter.

2. Post a picture of the error that comes up in the terminal.
    Thank you!

1 Like

Sure, please refer to the attached photo.

1 Like

Thanks so much for your post. Weird that this never came up on our end, but the following steps should fix it:

1. Open a terminal window via the panel at the top.
  2. Type in the following:

leafpad piper/game/game.py

1. Scroll down to the 32nd line which should say

from levels.lottaLava import LottaLavaLevel

1. Completely delete that line.
  2. File -> Save

That should do it.

1 Like

No still cannot access the game, still launches the intro video and goes right back to the desktop. I entered the command sudo python piper/start.py and the results are attached.

Thanks.
Tonya

So I’m having the issue where it says it’s now finishing the update and it could take up to 10 minutes but when I give it the command to see the progress of the update I get “command not found”IMG_4876 (1)

1 Like

Don’t use quotes around the commands. That causes the computer to think it is all one big command and that is what the error is telling you.

1 Like

I’ll give it a shot, but regardless of whether or not I can see the progress of the update, it seems to never finish. I can leave it unattended for over an hour and nothing happens, then if I restart I get the same message about the update not being complete and it could take up to 10 mins.

2 Likes

Hi Justin,

Did the command without the quotes work? Otherwise you can try the fix the devs proposed to this issue here.

Thank you!

Tommy

1 Like

The command without the quotes worked I guess, It didn’t really show me progress of any downloads. I then tried the link that you provided and everything seemed to work as planned up until I tried to open the Piper game and then I got the same msg about an error occurring during the last update. Now finishing update. This process could take 10mins to complete. =(

1 Like

When running the command to show status of update “cd piper && sudo python start.py” the “Oops! an error occoured” msg refreshes and comes to the front of the screen. Then there’s about six screens of code that roll by with a different error msg. I’m including the first and last page of the msg in hopes that y’all will have an idea of what further steps to take. IMG_4909IMG_4912

1 Like

By the look of the picture, it looks like you are not connected to the internet. Try connecting to wifi. If you don’t have wifi, try connecting via ethernet.

1 Like

In a terminal type:
sudo pip install pydub

2 Likes

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the suggestion but that doesn’t seem to do a thing. =/
I don’t have connectivity issues either. Wifi connection is fine.

1 Like

@Justin1 -

1. what size is your SD card?
  2. in a terminal window type: df -h
  3. what is the Avail column for the first line read?
  4. If you have a 16GB card, have you tried reflashing the SD card?
2 Likes

8gig
937M

I just tried to run Piper again and while it gave me the usual ‘Oops, the update’s not finished, give it 10 mins’ right after a terminal popped up and it actually looked like it was checking on things and downloading things, then it disappeared without seeming to solve anything. Isn’t there a command I can enter that will show me what it’s currently working on, like downloads and what not?

1 Like

I would reflash the SD card - use the v2.0.2 version so it will fit on your SD card, then do the updates.

2 Likes

Has anyone figured this out? i have the same issue and nothing works. This piper is now useless.

1 Like

See my response in the thread you opened

2 Likes