Is there a way to modify the startup?

My son would like to try and change the startup video sequence with the robot/rocket display. Is this possible? Are there alternates available?

I like his moxie! does he have an idea of what he wants to do? There are currently no alternatives than the current video. Although, it is possible to skip it (1) just click the mouse scroll button or (2) he can edit the startup script.

But before he does it, I would suggest buying another micro SD card and an SD card reader and have him learn how to backup the SD card. That way, in case of some dumb error (yesterday I made a silly error and caused one of my devices go into a start up loop. And to make it worse, I did twice) He can recover from it.

Exit to the desktop from Piper. Click the raspberry icon and look in “Accessories”. There you will find 'SD Card Copier - just follow the directions.

I am interested as well by modifying the startup script.
Which one is to be modified? It doesn’t seem to be in /home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart

How do you want to modify it? What do you want it to do?

Not sure what to answer about how (using vi?)

Next steps for my kids is to go from blocks to python using minecraft api in python.

@guillaumer - ahhh I see what you want to do. Might I suggest you get another SD card and load the latest Raspbian on it (https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/) and then take a look at ‘Minecraft Essentials’ located here between issues 47 and 48.

Having two SD cards will leave the Piper one untouched incase they want to come back and play. Just power off the Pi, swap SD cards and they are off doing whichever they want.

I would prefer to keep only one SD card. I don’t see them switching between µSD.

I found where it is done.
I have just modified /home/pi/piper/game/boot_files/Piper2 commenting line after Run Piper
#Run Piper
sudo /usr/bin/python3 start.py --intro