Is there a Family option?

I really like this product, but I have 2 sons… and can’t afford to buy 2 of these. Is there a way to create 2 accounts or profiles on one piper system?

Hi there, we don’t currently have a family option, however, we designed the game in a way that allows kids to play separately without the need for individual accounts. Each of your sons just needs to remember which level they last completed and can pick up where they left off.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

There is a way you should be able to do this.

If you create a second user on the pi and them copy the Piper directory to it, each child should be able to log in as them self and run their own version of Piper.

If you don’t know how to do this, I could work it out for you but it will take till next week due to family obligations this weekend (family over Saturday with two grandsons staying the night and I’ll need at least a day to recover (grin).

Hi Paul,
Thanks for looking into this, and I totally understand the family thing.
There isn’t a rush, as we are giving the piper kit for Christmas
Good luck with the grandkids… even though it is tiring, its the best
tired ever
Dave Dayton

Hi Dave,
Just wanted to give you an update. I’ve got this partially working but ran into a hicup that I’ve asked the Piper guys about. For the new user all the blocks have reverted to the original block so instead of red and green they are cobblestone and dirt etc. But I think this can be figured out. I’ll keep you informed as I make progress.

How do you create a new profile on a raspberry pi?

google is your friend ‘linux create new user’

@Ddayton2 - sorry I forgot to get back to this. Well I did create a new user, the only problem is when the new user runs Piper, the blocks all return to the normal minecraft blocks. i couldn’t figure out a way to get the custom blocks.

Thanks, @Pual. I will google “linux create new user”.

Thanks for the help, @Pual :wink: :slightly_smiling_face:. I figured out how to create a new user on linux. But I never tried it. I will try it as soon as I can. I’m wondering if this will work…

SkCro - if you are creating a new user so you can have two people play piper seperately, my attempt failed. There is something other than just copying the Piper flies to the new user that needs to be done otherwise you end up with the new user having the original minecraft blocks instead of the blue, red, green, light blue blocks and things don’t work (at least in my testing they didn’t.

But have a go at it and maybe you will find something that I missed. Someday when I have time I’ll try to dig in more.

Hi guys, I might have a dumb suggestion that could be a simple workaround. How about mirroring the piper image to a new SD card, and put a sticker on it with the second user’s name. That way there’s no need to buy a whole new piper, only an SD card, and each user has his/her SD card with his/her own progression… Just my 2 cents…

That’s a very good idea. :slight_smile:

does anyone know how to connect google home mini to the piper computer?

Please don’t ask the same question on multiple threads.

Unfortanatly, I don’t own a Google Home product, so I can’t help you. I’m Sorry. :frowning: :frowning: