Getting to Story Mode from Desktop

I can’t figure out how to access story mode from my son’s piper. He updated the Piper approx February and reports that some time passed before his machine started booting directly to desktop. My daughter has not updated her software and we’re afraid to do so because we don’t want to lose story mode.

Is my son’s Piper behaving as expected (and my daughter’s will do the same)? Can we access story mode from the desktop after the software update?

Thanks!

Doesn’t your sons machine show a Piper icon on the desktop?

How about if you go to the raspberry icon/games do you see Piper there?

What version is your son’s Piper on? There is a bug updating from pre-2.0 versions (1.8, 1.7, 1.6, etc), so you might want to hold off till 2.3 is out, as it will fix that issue.

Yes, he has the Piper icon on desktop and can also get to the icon from Raspberry / Games. In both cases it acts the same way as start-up, running through the movie and then ending up at the desktop without an option to play.

How old is the Piper kit? i.e. when did you get it?

go to the desktop and open a terminal window and enter

df -h

which will return something like

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 15G 2.2G 12G 16% /
devtmpfs 460M 0 460M 0% /dev
tmpfs 464M 0 464M 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 464M 18M 446M 4% /run
tmpfs 5.0M 4.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 464M 0 464M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1 43M 22M 21M 51% /boot
tmpfs 93M 0 93M 0% /run/user/1000

The first line is what I’m looking for:

> /dev/root 15G 2.2G 12G 16% /

what is it? I want to make sure you have enoutgh free space on the SD card.

I’m not sure what version it is. Where can I look? I purchased this in late November 2017 from Amazon.

/dev/root 15G 6.1G 7.6G 45% /

November 2017 mean’s it’s likely a 2.0 or higher card. Here’s a step that’ll help us get to the bottom of the problem:

Open a terminal, type in the following, followed by Enter and show me the results (I only need the last screenful of text):
cd piper; sudo python start.py

I’m hoping this image comes through.

The image came through! Sadly, the crucial bottom of the terminal is off screen. If you could maximize the window for me and re-send it please. You’ll have to drag the top of the window over to the left and hit the square button in between the _ and the X.

Did the new image come through with the words you need to see? Thanks!

When you say your son updated the Piper - and I know his was from back in february - did he do a Piper update or a Pi update (ie did he do something like ‘sudo apt-get-update’)?

he did piper update.

Can you please try the following in terminal:

sudo rm -R /root/.piper && sudo rm -R /root/.minecraft
[followed by enter/return]

And see if it will startup

what do you mean by staetup ? and it sead one thing done what do i do ?

Sorry, I should have explained better. After you enter those commands, reboot the Pi and see if Piper starts to run.

what do you mean by starts to run ?

and no it went to desktop right away

My suggestion at this time would be to wait a little longer for the new version of Piper and eithor order a SD card with it preinstalled or download and flash a new version on your SD card.