Some ideas of what to do when you have finished all the levels

I keep seeing people saving their kids have finished all the levels and don’t know what to do.

Parents…please go take a look at the foundations website resources page. There are so many things they can do.

To me, PIPER is just another way to provide kids with a way to learn about computers and the world around them. And to let their creative fly.

Boy oh boy do I wish this existed when I was a kid (Ok…there are lots of people that would say that I’m just a big kid and always have been - grin)

New levels available when?
Access to main Raspbery Pi desktop interface /standalone

This site has some MCPI ideas - stuffaboutcode

{Hide and Seek, Auto Bridge, Massive Analogue Clock, Planetary Gravity Simulator, Snake, Create massive 3D models, Take a stroll around New York, Create 3d Models, Cannon, Turning blocks into Bombs, Piano, Sound effects, Making a Traffic Jam, Coding shapes, Music Music Visualiser, Minecraft Graphics Turtle}

@Angie,Ball et all. For those new to the RPi and looking for some place to send your children for more pieces of Pi may I recommend “The official Raspberry Pi magazine” its available online at: https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/

plenty to read and the magazine archives are available so you can start from issue 1 and work your way through or find one that has articles that interest you or your child.

BradC

Sorry @Angie.Ball see previous comment

@Paul, I have a few questions about the basics of using our Pipers for other projects once our child completes all the levels. I looked at the quick start guide videos on www.raspberrypi.org. Does our Piper SD card have 8 GB class 4? Also, does the Piper SD card have NOOBS preinstalled on it? Also, is the Minecraft version on Piper actually Minecraft Pi? I am just trying to figure some of this out. If the Piper SD card doesn’t have NOOBS pre-installed on it, would we need to take the SD card out of our Raspberry Pi, and place it in our main computer in order to download NOOBS and then Raspbian? I watched the video twice, and one of the Raspberry Pi personnel said something about deleting the files from the SD card in order to download NOOBS and Raspbian, so I wanted to find out the correct way to do this, unless NOOBS has been pre-installed on the Piper/Raspberry Pi SD card.

I’m just figuring out if from what you listed that it is possible to learn to mod using either the Piper version of Minecraft or Minecraft Pi using Raspberry Pi, NOOBS, Raspbian, and the Piper, with a connected keyboard and mouse? Also, I am confused about the differences between NOOBS and Raspbian, if anyone can give us information, I would appreciate it!

Camicazi

Let me see if I can explain.

You don’t have to install anything else.

NOOBS is a easy operating system (OS) installer and it includes Raspbian…or you could choose one of the other OS to install like OSMC (for using the Pi as a media center)

BUT, you don’t need it since the SD card already has Raspbian installed. If you want to try another OS, buy a new 8GB SD card and follow the directions and install the new version on it. That way you could play with Piper - power off the Pi - swap SD cards - power back on and play with the new OS.

The SD card that came with Piper is an 8GB SD card.

If you want to play with some other things, at this point in time, I’d suggest getting anotehr SD card and installing a new version of Raspbian on it.

I was going to explain how to get out of Piper to play, but there are some ‘issues’ when you do. I’ve send a email to the Piper team asking about them and when they get back to me and/or fix them, I’ll let you know how to do it.

Thanks, @Paul, for explaining about the SD card and the NOOBS (OS) that includes Raspbian that came with the Piper’s. I am fine with using the SD card that came with the Piper, I just wasn’t sure since if you look at the Raspberry Pi website, it explained particular instructions, so I didn’t know if the Piper folks had already installed NOOBS, etc., but apparently they have! No would the next step be to plug in a keyboard and mouse in order to play around with coding? I know the Raspberry Pi website had instructions for doing this, but I haven’t got them down as yet. My daughter still does block coding on Learn to Mod with Minecraft, so she isn’t ready for more advanced coding yet, but it would be great if she could eventually learn using the Piper.

Also, I guess with a new SD card, one could install NOOBS OS on it, then download Mincraft Pi on their laptop, etc., then do coding there as well? This is just all new to me, and since my daughter goes to school full-time, then she isn’t able to work on this very much, plus with extra credit projects to complete, I still want her to have this technology for the summer, etc.

Thanks,
Camicazi

Once you have the Pi running with Raspibian (which is what Piper uses), you have all you need. The reason I suggest using a new SD card is that it is a little confusing right now to exit Piper back to the Raspbian desktop. Here is a link on the foundations website showing how to run MindCraft.

Thanks, @Paul! That was what I was thinking you meant about using a different or new SD card because of course Piper and Raspbian are two different system. I will look at the link about how to run MindCraft, which I honestly just heard about from your posts from the last few days! Thanks!

@Paul, ok, I see that the link is for how to install and run Minecraft Pi! Thanks so much for sending this link!

@Paul, can Minecraft Pi be used on Piper? Or is it already installed as the Piper Minecraft version? This is what I’m confused about, if it is already downloaded on Piper and is the actual Minecraft version on Piper, or can it be downloaded on Piper somehow, or can it only be downloaded on PC or laptop? Thanks for any info!

Maybe I didn’t explain clearly enough.

Piper is just a MindCraft world running on a Pi that is using the Raspbian operating system.

Raspibian has MindCraft Pi pre-installed along with Sonic, Scratch, Wolfram Alpha, python and many other things.

The current catch is that there are some issues when you exit Piper/MindCraft:

1. it is not easy to exit piper/MiindCraft
  2. if you do exit the meenubar, which should be at the top of the screen, jumps to the middle and back making it very diffucult to get things done.

I’ve notified the Piper guys and they are working on fixing these things, so for now, just install get another SD card and install Raspbian on it and you will have MindCraft once you boot int up.

@Paul, no you are explaining things well enough, it’s really me and I would bet plenty others out there who have had limited technology experience with operating systems and coding, etc. I’m just trying to figure out in my mind how all this works. I have never bought an SD card before, can you suggest the best place to get or order one, or a certain brand for an 8GB class 4 SD card, if that is the best one to get? Thanks for all your help!

You should be fine if you buy a SanDisk class 4 8GB card

Thanks, @Paul. Our local Wal-Mart in our small town was out of the 8GB cards, so we will have to find one in the next town from us. thanks so much for your advice!

Here’s another idea if you have a Raspberry Pi camera - a Minecraft Photo Booth http://bit.ly/246tFZw Just completed this project yesterday!

@Paul or @Jordan, can either one of you tell me how to boot up Rasbian on the Piper correctly. I reread Paul’s post here, where is states that Raspbian is already installed on the SD card that came with the Raspberry Pi. If this is correct, then how do we access the Raspbian operating system? I have been re-watching the raspberrypi.org getting started video, and it shows the perspective of downloading NOOBS onto a SD card, then taking the SD card out of the PC or laptop, then inserting it into the Raspberry Pi for then installing the Raspbian OS. If our SD card already had Raspbian, then what is the best way to access the Raspbian OS from the start menu in order to boot up Raspbian? It tells about Linux commands on the video, booting up Raspbian, config menu for location details for right time and date, using keyboard to navigate through the menu, completing customization, pi@raspberrypi~$, then type in startx, then it will load the GUI. This is all explained in the getting started video, but I’m not sure if this had all already been done by Piper before it was sent to all of us. Thanks for any help, just know that my daughter and I have never done this before, so we’re not even sure where to plug in the keyboard at, does it connect to Raspberry Pi or the Piper battery? I am thinking it would plug into the Raspberry Pi, but not sure where. Thanks, @Camicazi

Raspbian is the OS (operating system) Piper is a customized version of MindCraft that is autostarted when you turn the Pi on.

To get to the desktop do the following:

1. while the Pi is turned off, attach a keyboard to one of the USB ports.
  2. Power on the Pi and wait till the startup video ends
  3. press the control-alt-delete keys all at the same time

At this point a window should pop up with the title 'Task Manager

1. move your mouse to the top of the screen
  2. locate the item ‘start.py’ and right click it
  3. select ‘Close Window’ and Piper/MindeCraft should end
  4. minimize the task manager(1)

You can now use the Pi and explore teh other programs on it, Sonic, Scratch, the ‘regular’ MindCraft etc. I’ve suggested to thr Piper team that they provide an option to exit out of Piper to tjhe desktop and a desktop item to start Piper. Hopefully they will added in the next release.

(1) the reason I suggest minimize Task Manager is tehre is a strange bug that if you close it, when you move your mose to the top of the window, the menu bar sometimes shows in the middle of the screen.

@Paul, thanks so much for explaining this! I will definitely have to try this, using your steps. I am going to try and attach two pics that I just took, so I can find out where to place the keyboard plugin into the Raspberry Pi correctly, because I can’t figure out where the keyboard plugin needs to go! Thanks, @Camicazi

You see where you plugged in the WiFi dongle ande the mouse? Those are the four USB ports. Plug your keyboard into one of the empty ports