HDMI cable plug end for the screen too big?

Hi, my husband and son are putting together the Piper, all was going well until they got to putting in the green HDMI cable into the screen. It was too big my husband said because the wooden frame around the board on the back of the screen prevented it from lying flush… and it pulls strongly on the circuit board. what should they do? Thanks!

Asked my husband, since he helped our son. He said, for them, it did the same thing, and there was some pull, but they went with it anyway, and it worked. It wasn’t perfect, but they “muscled through” and it was fine. He said it seems like the cord is too big on the end.

Idk if that is helpful but it’s what I’ve got. Sorry I can’t help more.

Same issue here. It looks like the board it is “lifting” is held down with double sided tape, so hopefully it will pull away a little and relieve some of the strain.

However, we have the whole system together and everything is working so far.

Jim

THanks, I"ll let him know. :smile:

Ok, cool. He ended up just taking off that outer wooden frame and putting down some packing tape to reinforce it. lol I’ll let him know about this. Thanks! and ours is working too! It’s so neat!

Solution! (from a packaging designer)
We had the same problem with the HDMI cable plug (plastic housing at metal ends) being too big to fit within the outer (top) wood frame that holds the monitor securely into the inner lid/face.

1. We simply cut (using a small crafting-type saw. Ours was actually an old jeweler’s saw.) a small bit out of the wood frame (think: a donut with a single bite straight through one side…now the “donut” looks like a “C”). Don’t forget to trace the shape of the HDMI to show you where to cut…and make sure you leave enough wood around the top screw hole.
  2. Next we screwed the altered wood frame in place, with the HDMI cable plug snug within the newly cut opening.
  3. Finally, to maintain the strength of the frame, we glued a bridge across the HDMI plug, being careful to keep the glue from touching the HDMI’s plastic. There is plenty of empty space within the assembled lid to accommodate the extra thickness of our little bridge!
    Hope that helps you all!
    -N

Hardware support questions for the Piper toolbox

Just fantastic! Thanks! I like this better than packing tape. :stuck_out_tongue:

My husband used a small wood chisel to cut out a piece of that border. You can then use hot glue or wood glue to secure the piece, though it was secure enough so we didn’t feel the need.

I just grabbed a pocketknife and whittled down the corner of the plug. It is pretty soft material and you would have to try pretty hard to cut into anything crucial to the wire. It is still snug but not putting anywhere near the strain on the connector and board as it first was.

Any knife will do, exacto/hobby, pocketknife, could probably remove enough material with a serrated steak knife.

[quote=“SlaymakerDesign, post:6, topic:86”]
om a packaging designer)We had the same problem with the HDMI cable plug (plastic housing at metal ends) being too big to fit within the outer (top) wood frame that holds the monitor securely into the inner lid/face.1. We simply cut (using a small crafting-type saw. Ours was actually an old jeweler’s saw.) a small bit out of the wood frame [/quote]

I just whittled out a recess and cut part of the rubbery strain relief off- a couple of minutes work with an X-Acto. Seems fine now, and probably wasn’t even a problem in the first place.

A Dremel worked wonders to cut out a notch without having to cut a whole section out of the frame.